Having watched Linebarrels of Iron, I fell in love with Vardant, before later I also fell in love with mode B Linebarrel ^_^.
Decided to scratch build vardant’s variable binder. Variable binder is shaped like a shield, used to store vardant’s blades. I Plan to attach this to my overflag.
Here is a pic of vardant
I use pla plate as the main material. Got my hands on local pla plate, the plate comes in bigger size compared to tamiya’s, and price is cheaper also.
Basically, my SB method is very simple, draw the patterns on the plate, cut, glue, and drill. But it takes time to make it clean and neat. Have to be patient doing this kind of thing.
1. Drawing pattern on the pla plate
For each variable binder, I stacked 4 layers of plates as seen in the pic above
I tried and failed, I had a hard time making the same slope for the edges of the binder. So I had to change to this.
Managed to make five of them. Two on the upper corner are used to experiment the SB process.
4. Making the joints
On the show, these binders can float… There is no way I can make my pla plates float >.<; so I need joints.
Luckily Kotobukiya has released a model kit of vardant, and I can just copy the joint system.
The joints are made from pla plates and gunpla runners. Basically, each joint has 2 cylinders positioned with certain angle in order to make the binder like this.
In addition to the binder joints, I also need to make the joints for the blades. If you watch Linebarrels of Iron, you will know that the binders can be closed (stacked together). When closed, the blades inside the binders have to be removed, or else the closed binders will look too bulky.
Inspired by Keita’s OO, I decided to use magnet to the blades.
The yellow thing with the number “2” is the magnet, I cut and glued to magnet to the back of the blades. And the silver thing on the truss-shaped plate act as metal. So when attached, the magnet on the blades will stick to the metal.
Still experimenting on this matter ^_^
So far I managed to make it look like this
………….. the joints are disturbing, should cover the cylinders with one more layer of plaplate ^_^